Email deliverability directly influences your email domain reputation, which depends on 3 main factors. One of those factors is your list hygiene - and validating your email list is an absolutely essential step to good list hygiene.
The concept of email validation is simple - it means that you are confirming that any given email address is real and can have messages delivered to it. This already makes it an important step in setting up your email campaign, but there is more to it. For instance, Mailgun’s list validation tool also checks things like email address syntax, ISP specific grammar (i.e. some ISPs allow the use of + in an address, others don’t), and typos (e.g. .vom instead of .com).
Combining Mailgun’s list validation tool with Bloomreach Engagement’s Scenarios creates a water-tight solution for list validation. To use the list validation, first, talk to your CSM to set up the Mailgun’s list validation API with your Bloomreach Engagement project.
To get the validation up and running you have two options (A or B):
(A) Set up the validation scenarios on your own:
- Integrate Mailgun’s list validation API with Bloomreach Engagement
- To do so, follow the steps within Mailgun’s documentation
- Create a Scenario that “listens” for any email subscribe event from any source (Facebook, in store, web, etc.) or schedule weekly checks.
(B) Leverage our out-of-the-box Plug&Play use cases for validation. Ask your CSM for more information.
After configuring the validation API and Scenario, here is how a new email address can get validated automatically through the system:
- The new email address is passed on to Mailgun’s validation API before it’s enrolled into a mailing campaign. Validation is done extremely quickly and quietly - no friction is added to the customer experience. Spambots are identified by looking for suspicious behavior or naming patterns that Mailgun carefully watches out for.
- The address is evaluated as either Deliverable, Undeliverable, Do Not Contact, or Unknown, and this information is added to the customer profile in Bloomreach Engagement
- Deliverable emails enter a welcome campaign, undeliverable and do not contact addresses aren’t added to the list, and unknown addresses enter a double opt-in program
Double opt-in scenarios typically don’t have conversion rates higher than 70%. This approach lets you bypass double opt-in programs for safe email addresses, saving that approach only for emails that might put the hygiene of your list at risk.
Updated 7 months ago