7.8.0 release notes
December 6th, 2012
I am very happy to announce to you today the release of Hippo CMS 7.8. We are launching with this release a set of new features and enhancements for marketers, editors and developers that help you create digital miracles. This release mail gives you an overview of availability and improvements as well as links to more detailed content and documentation.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.
We wish you all great success in 2013 implementing projects with the new Hippo CMS 7.8!
All described functionality is available in the Hippo Community Edition, with the exception of the targeting add-on (Relevance Module) which is available with the Hippo Enterprise Edition only.
The Hippo CMS 7.8 Community Edition is available as of December 6th 2012. We are rolling out Hippo CMS 7.8 Enterprise Edition in three phases:
- December 2012: First Customer Shipment (FCS) - Projects, in which Hippo (the company) is closely involved can start implementation from now on and go live in February. Projects in which Hippo is not closely involved are asked to wait until Feb 2013 or request Hippo assistance.
- Feb 2013: General Availability (GA) for Enterprise Edition excl. Relevance Module and Limited Availability (LA) for Enterprise Edition incl. Relevance Module - New implementations that do not utilize targeting capabilities can be executed by all Customers and Hippo Certified Partners. A selected group of partners will be able to implement and launch projects that make use of targeting functionality together with Hippo support.
- May 2013: General Availability (GA) for Enterprise Edition incl. Relevance Module and Migration Pack for CMS 7.7 installations - All aspects of the Hippo Enterprise Edition and the Relevance Module are generally available for implementation by Hippo Customers and Hippo Certified Partners. Customers upgrading from CMS 7.7 are advised to wait until May 2013 in order to benefit from the Migration Pack.
The LA and GA releases will be fully backward compatible with the FCS release.
Hippo CMS 7.8 Enhancements
Pushing a new version of a project from development through to test, acceptance and production environments (DTAP) typically includes updating configuration and content. The Hippo updater mechanisms are designed to help developers through this DTAP process.
The Hippo CMS 7.8 improvements to these updaters include:
- Developer Perspective and Updater Editor enable developers to create, manage and run Groovy updater scripts from within the CMS interface
- Reload-on-startup provides more fine grained control over when an item is reloaded
- A new Diff-and-patch tool in the console makes it easier to determine and move configuration changes between your different environments
The CMS has been improved in a number of areas to provide for a better day-to-day user experience. We particularly looked at:
- Channel manager locking
- Various template composer usability enhancements including document pickers and easier component configuration
- More task oriented image and asset handling
- Security improvements such as captcha support
- Performance optimizations for the CMS interface responsiveness
- Extended usability of the CMS console
One of the exciting challenges that we worked on as part of the 7.8 release is the performance of the delivery tier (HST) when utilizing the new targeting features. We have implemented three main features as a result, as well as several other enhancements.
- Page cache capable of serving thousands of pages per second, designed to work together with the Relevance Module
- Components can be configured to be rendered asynchronously resulting in improved overall performance and easy third party content integration
- Page diagnostics for site performance, component rendering and query execution
- Canonical access to content lowering memory usage and improving querying from the HST
Relevance Module: Targeting
The new Relevance Module brings targeting capabilities to the Hippo Enterprise Edition. It allows marketers to customize the appearance of the site, based on the characteristics of each individual visitor. The Experience Optimizer is a new perspective in the CMS user interface and the entry point to targeting capabilities.
The Experience Optimizer facilitates persona discovery by providing real time visitor analytics. A list of current visitors allows marketers to dive into a visitor session and see the visitor’s characteristics such as where they are coming from, what content they have seen, or even external data such as the weather at the visitor’s location. These characteristics can be stored and combined into personas right from dashboard.
A marketer uses characteristics and personas in the Template Composer to individualize a website, mobile site or facebook page by reconfiguring component variants. Components can be added to a page to specifically target a certain audience, or components can be given specific configuration depending on the type of visitor, interest profile, context, device, and so on.
In order to experience a site as a real visitor would, marketers can mimic a targeted visitor in the Channel Manager using the new Alter Ego functionality.
The Relevance Module is extensible so you can add new collectors to capture specific information about your visitors. For instance, it is possible to integrate information from your CRM system and target content based on past buying behavior when integrating with an e-commerce platform.
The documentation on the Relevance Module can be found on the Enterprise Wiki (only accessible for Enterprise customers):
Other documentation relevant for this release:
To try out the new functionality of Hippo CMS 7.8 using the maven archetype see instructions on the Hippo Trail.
You can also check out and run the Hippo Go Green demo:
- svn co http://svn.onehippo.org/repos/hippo/hippo-demos/hippo-go-green/tags/hippogogreen-3.07.00
- cd hippogogreen-3.07.00
- mvn install
- mvn -P cargo.run
- open the cms and site in a browser at http://localhost:8080/cms and http://localhost:8080/site, respectively
Hippo Certified Stack
Hippo CMS 7.8 works with Java 6 and Apache Tomcat 6 and 7.
We have updated the Community and Enterprise stack, see System Requirements.
We have tested using the following browser versions:
|Internet Explorer||8 and 9|
Currently, there are a few known issues with this release, including:
- HSTTWO-2366: HstLink#toUrlForm does not include host name in URL if request comes from the CMS. This issue is the root cause of two other CMS issues:
- CMS7-6707: 'Share' menu shares URL without a scheme and host name
- HGGE-84: Can't prepare newsletter
- HSTTWO-2370: Different hst:sites cannot reuse one and the same hst:configuration any more
- In the community edition only: CMS7-6738 Reporting dashboard stops responding when a section is opened twice. Refresh the browser to workaround this issue.